Want to know 7 simple tips for answering questions like “how often do you go shopping?” in IELTS speaking like a native English speaker? These steps have been used by thousands of students, resulting in them scoring a high band.
In the IELTS speaking part 1 section, the examiner will ask you questions about yourself, your living situation, and if you are currently working or studying. These questions are to get to know you, which then will lead to related questions in the coming parts.
You are going to learn about the most updated IELTS speaking part 1 questions and answers and how to keep your concentration IELTS speaking part 1.
Additionally, you will see questions related to the weather for IELTS speaking part 1. You are also going to learn about questions related to science, music, food, and clothes in IELTS speaking part 1.
This post is all about “how often do you go shopping?” IELTS questions you may see.
How Often Do You Go Shopping? IELTS
About The IELTS Speaking Part 1 Questions
There are many different IELTS speaking part 1 questions you may see on this part of the exam. These questions can range from a wide range of topics. The same questions that are asked in the IELTS speaking part 1 questions can even lead to a similar topic in the IELTS speaking part 2.
When you are about to answer the IELTS speaking part 1 questions, it is essential that you speak in full sentences and not give one-word answers. This is very important because you want to make sure you can impress the examiner by responding with answers that will score you a high band.
Below you are going to find different IELTS speaking part 1 questions and the different topics you may see.
IELTS Speaking Part 1 Questions And Answers
Before you have a look at these IELTS speaking part 1 questions and answers, it is important that you do not try to memorize these answers. Especially because the examiner will have an idea that the answers you are giving is not genuine.
One thing that is important to note is that if you cannot relate to a given topic, then feel free to make up the answer. Especially if you can be given a higher score. Note, that you can pretty much make up an answer for any question, however, do not makeup answers for any personal information the examiner asks about you such as your name or address.
Questions Related To Your Hobbies In IELTS Speaking Part 1
One of the questions you may see is about your hobbies IELTS speaking part 1. When you are given one of these questions, it is important to remember that you discuss what types of activities you find enjoyment in.
Have a look at some questions related to hobbies – IELTS speaking part 1:
- What are some hobbies that are popular in your hometown?
Truthfully, many people in my hometown really enjoy hiking. In my hometown of Turkey, there are many beautiful hiking trails that offer stunning views where you are able to see the water, mountains, and city life.
- Why do you think it’s important for people to have hobbies?
Having hobbies is a great way for people to learn about themselves while enjoying their passion. It also helps them pass time doing something they love doing most.
- What is a hobby you have?
One thing I really enjoy doing is exercising. Having time to myself to exercise helps me relieve stress. Which results in me being in a better mood throughout the entire day.
- Do you and your family enjoy the same hobby?
My family and I share different interests. However, one interest both I and my husband share are exercising. He loves playing sports because it helps him relieve his stress, while I don’t play sports but get my cardio in at the gym.
Now have a look at some questions related to science IELTS speaking part 1.
Questions Related to Science – IELTS Speaking Part 1
Here are a few questions related to science IELTS speaking part 1 you may see:
- What science courses did you have to take in high school?
Biology was one course I had to take in high school. It was quite fascinating to learn about the human body and how each part functions.
- Did you enjoy taking science classes in school?
To be honest, when I was younger I used to dread science courses because I never had any interest in that field. But now that I am older, I realize the benefits of learning about the anatomy of our body.
- What is one interesting thing you learned in your science class?
The most mind-boggling thing I learned in science class is that our body produces more than 25 million new cells every second. Trying to process this information is just amazing.
- Do you think the education system should offer science classes in primary school?
I think offering primary-aged kids science classes would be great, especially if they are given some experiments to do. This would keep them engaged and interested in the different topics.
Have a look at some questions related to shopping in IELTS speaking part 1.
Questions Related To Music In IELTS Speaking Part 1
Here are a few questions related to music for IELTS speaking part 1:
- Do you like listening to music? why / why not?
Music is something that helps me get through my exercising, especially on days when I dread going on the treadmill. So yes, I do like listening to music.
- What kind of music do you enjoy listening to?
To be honest, I enjoy all genres, but I prefer music that is upbeat and fast. However, sometimes I do prefer music that is calming as it helps me wind down from a busy day.
- Did you like a different type of music when you were younger?
My taste in music has remained the same throughout the years. Therefore, I didn’t choose a different type of music when I was younger, compared to now.
- Do you think there is a difference between the type of music younger people like, then the older generation?
This question made me chuckle because my kids get so annoyed when I listen to calming music. They always say I am an old lady and that I should listen to something more upbeat. Therefore, yes I think there is a difference between the type of music the different generations listen to.
Have a look at some questions you may see about food IELTS speaking part 1 below.
Questions Related To Food – IELTS Speaking Part 1
Here are some questions related to food for IELTS speaking part 1:
- What types of cuisine do you enjoy eating the most?
My favorite cuisine has to be Afghan. I love the flavor of their rice, especially when they mix it with carrots and raisins.
- Do you prefer to eat at home or get take out?
Nothing beats home food, because it’s always fresh and delicious. However, if there is no home food available I don’t mind takeout but only in places that I trust and I don’t ever get fast food.
- Do you prefer breakfast/lunch or dinner? why?
My favorite meal of the day is breakfast. I always look forward to having my boiled eggs with my freshly brewed coffee every morning.
- What is the last meal you cooked?
Yesterday, I made this delicious baked chicken in the oven with a side of potatoes and salad. My family really enjoyed this meal and told me it came out tasteful.
Here are a few questions related to clothes in IELTS speaking part 1.
Questions Related To Clothes – IELTS Speaking Part 1
Many students often get stuck when they are asked questions about clothes in IELTS speaking part 1. Have a look at some questions and answers:
- Do you have a favorite piece of clothing?
To be honest, I love clothing that is comfortable and easy to style. I’d say my favorite piece of clothing is the tracksuit that I purchased. It is a black tracksuit so it’s easy to style with a long jacket when going out.
- What are the traditional clothes of your country?
In Uzbekistan, the women like to wear a traditional clothing piece that is a one-piece long dress. This dress is colorful and very comfortable to wear.
- When do people have to wear uniforms in your country?
Most individuals who attend private school are required to wear uniforms. Also, employees of a particular company may also have to wear uniforms.
- What store do you usually buy your clothes from?
To be honest, I don’t have a preference for stores. If I see something I like and is a good price, I will buy it. However, I do like to choose quality pieces.
Questions Related To The Weather – IELTS Speaking Part 1
- How is the weather in your hometown? do you like it?
The winters in Canada are quite long and very cold. We get about 5 months of winter here in Toronto. To be honest, I have lived in Canada for 36 years and have not gotten used to the cold temperatures. I really dislike it!
- Do you have a preference between dry or wet weather?
I really enjoy dry weather here in Toronto, especially because we have long months of wet weather. So when it is dry, we really take advantage of the weather.
How To Keep Focused And Not Lose Your Concentration- IELTS Speaking Part 1
It’s challenging to be asked so many questions at once and not lose your concentration- IELTS speaking part 1. Here are a few strategies for you to stay focused and not lose concentration:
- Listen to the question the examiner is asking you and try to answer using words that relate to the context.
- Speak in full sentences and do not give one-word answers.
- If you didn’t hear the question the first time, ask the examiner to repeat the question. Don’t take a guess on what the examiner said.
7 Simple TIPS To Answering The IELTS Speaking Part 1 Questions
- Make sure you stay on topic when you are answering your questions.
- Avoid using the filler words “um”, “like”, and “actually.”
- Try to only answer the question in 3 sentences maximum.
- When explaining something, use proper terms/ vocabulary to clarify.
- Try not to memorize any answers, the examiner will sense it!
- DO NOT repeat yourself for the sake of filling your time.
- Try to use idioms when answering the IELTS speaking part 1 questions, but do not use slang throughout your answer.