There are many different strategies you should consider when looking at how to improve English writing skills for the IELTS writing section. When looking at these methods, being able to implement them into your everyday life will help you tremendously. In other words, try to practice the tips I will provide you with so you can be on the road to scoring a band 9!
Remember that it takes time to become a better writer. But you will only become a better writer through practice.
In this article, I discuss how to improve English writing skills and the importance of how to use appropriate vocabulary to help you in the IELTS writing section.
If you are looking for exercises to improve writing skills for the IELTS writing section, be sure to check out these YouTube videos. I discuss how you can organize your thoughts throughout the IELTS writing task 1 and IELTS writing task 2 questions.
Check out my video where I explain lots of tips you can use for IELTS writing.
Best ways how to improve English writing skills for IELTS Writing
1. Reading books is the first step on how to improve English writing skills
Reading books, reports and articles are great ways you can improve your writing through practice. Additionally, choosing a reading that is related to a topic you find interesting will help you stay motivated to continue reading, this is important because you want to make sure you read something that you understand and can relate to.
2. How to improve English writing skills online
If you are looking for a handy tool on how to improve English writing skills online, check out this great FREE tool that has been offered by Cambridge University which is the original creator of the IELTS exam. Their tool allows you to practice improve writing skills. Furthermore, the write & improve with Cambridge tool has two test zone sections that include IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training.
Depending on if you are taking the IELTS General Training or the IELTS academic exam, these exercises to improve writing skills actually are great because they provide you with a question allowing you to time yourself and they even give you feedback! Have a look at https://www.cambridgeenglish.org/learning-english/free-resources/write-and-improve/
Here is a step by step guide on how to use the website:
Step 1: Hit “start practicing now”
Step 2: Select between IELTS Academic or IELTS General Training. Once you select the exam type, you will be prompted to a list of question types you may choose. This tool is an IELTS mock test online FREE.
Step 3: Choose from the question types from the list. Once you choose one, you will be prompted to a screen like this:
In the area where it says “start again”, you can start writing your essay. The nice thing about this tool is that it not only helps you learn how to improve English writing skills online, but it also lets you time yourself to simulate an actual IELTS exam.
If you want to turn on the timer, have a look here:
How to improve writing skills for students
I highly recommend this website if you are looking to improve English writing for the IELTS writing section, especially if you are able to submit your answer and it actually gives you a band score. Excitingly, this tool will also give you suggestions on how to score higher.
The good thing is that you are able to take mock tests for both IELTS writing task 1 and IELTS writing task 2. And the BEST THING is that it’s all FREE! If you are looking for exercises to improve writing skills, then this is definitely one you do not want to miss!
One recommendation I want to make is to try not to limit yourself to just the IELTS writing task 1 and writing task 2 tab. This website has so many different options and this will give you great ideas for writing a better essay. The more you practice the more you will get better so definitely don’t forget to save this website under your favorites.
3. How to improve handwriting
3. If you are looking for ways how to improve handwriting for the IELTS writing section, it’s important that you have clear writing so the examiner is able to read your essay correctly. The last thing you want is to get a low band score because the examiner was confused because your writing wasn’t clear.
Practicing to write clearly is a vital part of how to improve handwriting. Here are some suggestions I have for you on ways to help you:
- Try to practice at home by writing out sentences with the pen or pencil you plan to write with on test day.
- Since you are required to use either an HB pencil or a pen for the IELTS writing section, I recommend that you choose one that you are able to grip comfortably. This will help you on test day, especially because you will feel under pressure trying to finish on time.
- Practice writing exercises on Youtube to help improve writing in English. There are so many free resources on the internet if you are looking for ways.
- Make sure you keep in mind that you also need to practice capital letters and periods at the end of each sentence.
- Improve your writing by practicing on a lined paper, while trying to stay within the lines.
4. How to improve writing skills and vocabulary
Having a wide range of vocabulary is key to scoring a high band in the IELTS writing section. I recommend that you try to use synonym language and relatable words that describe the topic of discussion. This will show the examiner that you are able to write like a native English speaker.
Some suggestions I have for you are to try and read mock tests that have been completed by others online for the IELTS writing section. This way you will get an idea of how to improve writing and vocabulary to help you score high.
5. Improve English Vocabulary
Improve English Vocabulary
5. When you see a word you are not familiar with on the mock tests, I highly recommend that you take the time to look up the meaning in a dictionary. After you look up the meaning, I recommend that you try to practice using the particular word when you are talking with a friend and having a conversation. This way you will remember what context you can use the word in.
If you are not interested in reading mock tests for the IELTS writing section, then I recommend that you read articles or reports of topics that interest you the most. This will help you more since you have a great interest in a particular topic.
6. Vocabulary for IELTS Writing Task 1
6. Describing the chart/ diagram in your explanation is essential. You should use words like increased, decreased, drastically dropped, rapidly increased, or steadily increased to show the examiner you are able to explain what exactly is happening in the image.
Also, being able to use synonym language will help you increase your vocabulary for IELTS writing. Being able to do this is key when it comes to wanting to score a high band.
Remember that vocabulary is a big part of scoring a high band, but equally important is using transition words throughout your paragraphs. This will help your essay flow smoothly.
If you are not sure how to use transition, be sure to download my How to improve English writing skills pdf that will help you understand how to format your IELTS writing task 1. The downloadable pdf is called how you should write each section for IELTS Academic Writing Task 1
IELTS General Training Writing Task 1
If you are writing the IELTS General Training test, you will be required to write a letter for writing task 1. It is important to note that you must know the different vocabulary types you should use between formal, informal or semi-formal question types.
If you are not sure about these 3 different letter types, then have a look at the article titled Ultimate Guide for IELTS General Training Writing Task 1.
7. Improve writing in English through reading aloud
7. Although this may sound a bit bizarre, reading a book out loud is a great way to hear yourself saying the words which can help your long-term memory. Many people often forget what they read so this is a great trick to understand and remember what you are trying to comprehend. This method will not only help you in IELTS writing but it’s great to use in IELTS speaking.
When you are looking for ways How To Improve English Writing Skills, it’s important that you practice what you learn because that is the only way to become a more proficient writer. In the comments section down below, let me know what is one takeaway you learned from this article, and let me know if you will try the website I listed above!